Importance of having smoke alarms on each floor highlighted following Penrhyn Bay fire

Posted 21/02/2019 17:11:57

A senior fire officer is highlighting the importance of having working smoke alarms fitted on every floor of your home following a fire in Penrhyn Bay this afternoon.

Crews from Llandudno and Colwyn Bay were called to a property at Penrhyn Madoc, Penrhyn Bay at 12.03hrs today (Thursday) to deal with reports of a fire affecting the airing cupboard.

The cause of the fire is thought to be electrical.

Kevin Jones, Community Safety Manager for Conwy and Denbighshire for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: “The occupant only had one working smoke alarm on the ground floor. As the fire occurred in the upstairs of the property, this delayed the activation of the alarm which then alerted the occupant.

“Thankfully the occupant was unhurt, but this incident highlights how important it is to have working smoke alarms on every floor in your home.

“As well as working smoke alarms, ensure you have clear escape routes to enable you and your family to exit your home as quickly as possible in the event of fire.

"Electrical fires can strike anytime, anywhere – but there are some simple steps you can take to help prevent an electrical fire in your home. They include:

  • DON'T overload plug sockets
  • DO Regularly check for worn or frayed wires
  • DO Unplug relevant appliances when not in use
  • DO Keep appliances in good working order and clean dust and lint filters.

“For more information on electrical safety please visit our website – www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk.”

 

Thank you for your email address

We will shortly provide you with the appropriate information.

Done

Thank you for your request

Done